CBM is an international Christian development organisation, committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world. We are looking to recruit as soon as possible a:
Field Photojournalist & Storyteller(m/f/d) - Uganda/East Africa
Main objective of the role:
The CBM Field Communication team is looking forward to engaging a Field Photojournalist & Storyteller to ensure accountable collection of high-quality client and partner stories, photographs, film footage and content for new media in Uganda and East Africa.
We are looking for someone who will…
- Write compelling, comprehensive and truthful reports in English (human interest stories) and take high quality and compelling pictures – according to agreed deliverables/timelines
- Liaise with CBM Field Communication Manager regarding resource collection, give regular reports about status, planned activities, and roadblocks of work to the line manager
- Engage and oversee local videography support and organize all related logistics
- Organize field visits and other duty travels well ahead of time, liaise with CBM partners regarding the pre-identification of clients, re transport, availability of field staff - and organize own travel logistics
- To provide material for social media (short stories/pictures/video clips)
- To sort pictures made with relevant description (correct IPTC) and upload them together with stories to CBM Online Media Archive
- To accompany resource trips of CBM staff as writer or photographer
- Support full and proper accountability of all expenses
We are looking for someone who has…
- A related photojournalism degree or equivalent diploma/education level and/or proven know-how in photojournalism theory with at least 2 years’ experience
- Profound skills in photography, journalism, and storytelling
- Developed his/her own portfolio would be advantageous
- Ability to write compelling human interest stories in English
- Exposure to topics such as news reporting, picture story, visual editing, magazine design, visual communication, news design and practical experience with electronic photojournalism
- Knowledge about video production and ability to take high quality videos is a plus
- Good understanding of development work
- Demonstrated ability to meet the required extensive travel and logistic demands
- Experience with working and/or traveling in occasionally insecure areas and following strict safety & security protocols
- Passion and commitment to the cause of helping people who are struggling to survive poverty and disability
- Result-driven approach in a remote working environment
- Profound cross-cultural communication and strong relationship building skills
- Proficiency in English and in at least one local language
- Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere; Adobe Bridge
- Driving license
The future job holder will adhere to CBM’s values and commits to CBM’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy.
CBM encourages persons with disabilities to apply for this position. For further information about CBM’s inclusion policy, please visit our Resources & Publications section at www.cbm.org. If you feel that this role would be a good opportunity, we would love to hear from you. Please send your CV and cover letter in English, a selection of 3 published reports + 5 “best of” pictures (low resolution) representing your previous work by using the available on-line questionairre in the respective fields of our application platform.
Application deadline: January 19, 2020.
This position is a 2 year Fixed Term Contract to be based in Kampala, Uganda, under local employment conditions and/or subject to the international scope of national labour and immigration laws in the respective country.